SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 3588 jobs in database:
12 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Visitor Services Intern
Job Type: volunteer position
Posting Date: 14 Jan 14
Closing Date: 4 Apr 14
We are searching for two interns.
A 12 to 15 week intern. This intern would receive $200 per week in compensation. Dates are negotiable from May - September.
A 24 week intern. This intern would receive $200 per week in compensation for the first 12 weeks and $250 in compensation for the final 12 weeks. Dates for the internship are negotiable from May - November.
Housing, transportation to and from work, and laundry facilities are provided.
Seney National Wildlife Refuge (Seney NWR), in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula was established in 1935 for the protection and production of migratory birds and other wildlife. Seney is located midway between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. At nearly 96,000 acres, Seney NWR is one of the larger National wildlife Refuges east of the Mississippi and is diverse in both the number of ecosystem types present and the number of wildlife species using these habitats. Visitors and recreational activities are also a part of Seney NWR. The refuge offers numerous opportunities for the public including a seven mile Marshland Wildlife Drive, roads open to biking, a self guided interpretive hiking trail, canoeing, bird watching, nature observation, hunting, fishing, photography, hiking and a visitor center.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Visitor Center and bookstore operations
- organize and conduct a special event
- develop/present interpretive talks, walks, auto tours, and environmental education programs
- assist with special projects (newsletter articles, website, self-guided pamphlets, signs, native garden and exhibits)
- social media interactions (facebook and flickr)
- staff the Visitor Center information desk and bookstore
- assist visitors and volunteers
- assist with light maintenance
- other duties as assigned
- energetic and responsible
- ability to work independently and in small groups
- management skills
- good writing skills
- public speaking ability
- experience leading programs and working with public desired
- knowledge in natural history, biology, bird identification
applicants pursuing studies or degree in biology, interpretation, environmental education, parks and recreation, or related field but will accept applicants with other backgrounds.
A valid drivers license required.
Contact Information:How to apply:
Submit resume, cover letter, unofficial college transcripts, two letters of reference, and time period available no later than April 4th, 2014 to Seney National Wildlife Refuge, ATTN: Sara Giles, 1674 Refuge Entrance Rd. Seney, MI 49883. If you have questions call 906/586-9851 ext. 10. Phone interviews will be conducted starting in March until positions are filled.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.