SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4811 jobs in database:
14 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Short-term Consultant Environmental and Social Safeguards Training
Job Type: full-time temporary position
Location: District of Columbia
Posting Date: 31 Jul 14
Closing Date: 30 Oct 14
CI has traditionally worked with the GEF as an executing entity on the ground. In November, 2013, CI was accredited as one of the first non-governmental organizations to become a GEF Project Agency and joins the ranks of the World Bank, UN Agencies and others as a project implementing agency. The CI- GEF Project Agency team in HQ is responsible for granting funds on behalf of the GEF. This team oversees project implementation and oversight of project execution to ensure that the project is being carried out in accordance with all CI-GEF policies and procedures.
As part of its accreditation, the CI-GEF Project Agency has adopted the GEF Minimum Standards on Environmental and Social Safeguards and Gender Mainstreaming, and has devised an Environmental and Social Management Framework to ensure that adverse environmental and social impacts are avoided, or, when unavoidable, minimized and appropriately mitigated and/or compensated.
CI‐GEF’s ESMF is composed of 8 policies which describe the minimum standards that each CI‐GEF funded project must meet or exceed:
• Environmental and Social Impact Assessment Policy
• Protection of Natural Habitats
• Involuntary Resettlement Policy
• Indigenous Peoples Policy
• Pest Management Policy
• Physical Cultural Resources Policy
• Accountability and Grievance Systems Policy
• Gender Mainstreaming Policy
Since accreditation, The CI –GEF Agency is currently implementing a portfolio of 6 projects totaling $20.1M. The CI-GEF Agency expects this portfolio to continue to grow as GEF6 funding (July 2014-June 2018) commences.
SCOPE OF WORK AND DUTIES
As part of accreditation, CI is seeking a short term consultant to train staff in assessing and implementing the GEF Minimum Standards on Environmental and Social Safeguards and Gender Mainstreaming. The purpose of this training is to help staff understand, mitigate and manage social and environmental risks in CI-GEF funded projects, thereby having a positive influence on our development impact and reputation.
1. Conduct a thorough review of CI’s Environmental Social Management Framework and make recommendations for improvement where necessary.
2. Conduct one training workshop for CI staff. This may include but is not limited to:
o Familiarization of all 8 safeguard standards
o Training on how to implement safeguard policies; include scenario planning of triggered safeguards
o Training of trainers guide, toolkit and/or best practices for Project Agency staff to build capacity of executing agency
3. Environmental and Social Safeguards Coaching:
o Review the CI-GEF Agency’s process for screening for safeguards and implementing safeguards for current projects in the CI-GEF portfolio; make recommendations as necessary
The successful candidate for this position will need to meet the following criteria:
• Demonstrated 10 year work experience relating to the application of environmental and social safeguards to projects financed by the GEF and/or multilateral development institutions
• Extensive knowledge of both environmental and social safeguards systems of multilateral development banks and UN Agencies
• Understanding of client perspective of Environmental and Social Safeguards
• Experience with developing training curriculums and implementing on-the-job training courses for professionals
• Ability to communicate fluently, both in writing and orally, in English
• Excellent drafting skills, strong operational and analytical skills, and an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• An advanced university degree related to economic and social development, environmental protection, or economics
Candidates interested in this consultancy position should submit a CV and cover letter via email to CIGEF@Conservation.org .
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.