SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4573 jobs in database:
19 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Job Type: part-time permanent position
Posting Date: 9 Jul 14
Closing Date: 8 Oct 14
Part-Time, hourly (15-20 hours per week), may involve weekend and evening hours
Dunes Learning Center (DLC) is a non-profit residential environmental education facility located within the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Our primary audiences are schools throughout northwest Indiana and the Chicagoland area. Our mission is to provide learners of all ages an “in-depth exploration of the dynamic relationship between people and their environments using the natural and cultural resources of the Indiana Dunes region where nature and society co-exist.”
The Outreach Educator (OE) is responsible for coordinating, implementing and evaluating outreach programs, including Mighty Acorns (MA); in conjunction with a coalition of partner organizations (see below). The OE may also work with other outreach programs such as Kellie to my Classroom, on an as needed basis. The OE may also participate in staff recruitment efforts, the development and implementation of seasonal staff trainings, and serve as a Teaching Naturalist in on-site and off-site programs as needed. Candidates must be knowledgeable of the flora, fauna, and cultural history of the Indiana Dunes landscape.
• Facilitate MA programs;
• Facilitate other outreach programs on an as needed basis;
• Communicate with school teachers and coalition staff to schedule study trips, teacher training workshops, and other program meetings;
• Collaborate with representatives from Dunes Learning Center, Shirley Heinze Land Trust, and Field Museum on outreach program curriculum for middle school to high school grade teachers;
• Assist in naturalist training and professional development;
• Assist in residential programs on an as needed basis;
• Other duties as assigned.
• College Degree in Natural Sciences, Biology, Education, Parks/Recreation, Environmental Science, K-12 teacher certification or credits toward teacher certification;
• 2 years of teaching experience in a formal or non-formal setting. Some classroom teaching experience preferred;
• Excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills;
• Excellent teacher/naturalist skills (knowledge of Indiana Dunes region desired);
• Expertise in MS Office software: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint;
• Great independent worker and team player;
• Physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and hike several miles over hilly dunes terrain while carrying a 20-pound backpack;
• Maintain current CPR and First Aid certification;
• Possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation (vehicle).
Supervision: The Outreach Educator reports to the Outreach Education Coordinator
Position is opened until filled.
Contact Information:To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, and 3 references including name, relationship, phone number, and email address to Kellie Koerner, Outreach Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.