SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 3577 jobs in database:
15 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Organic Horticulture and Landscaping Internship
Job Type: full-time temporary position
Posting Date: 4 Feb 14
Closing Date: 6 May 14
Working on a horticulture or landscaping degree? Need more experience to join the work force? Want space to create and implement your own garden and landscaping ideas in a relaxed environment? Want to work organically with a focus on wildlife landscaping and sustainability? Wish to live in a tropical setting for a while? If so, then this is the internship for you!
The T.R.E.E.S Hosting Center is currently upgrading its gardens. We are looking to beautify the front of the center and add flower gardens and flowerbeds around paths to the facilities, with a focus on planting native plants for wildlife. We will also be requiring landscaping in the form of a series of ponds with running water and vegetation to attract birds and breeding frogs to the grounds.
In the 1980’s this site was used as a plant nursery; thus, a variety of tropical garden plants can be found at the center and the intern(s) will have the opportunity to use these decorative plants for the gardens. There are also a few nurseries in the area where the intern(s) will be able to acquire other flowering plants and local expertise. At the landscape level we are very open to new ideas and will provide the manpower and proper equipment for the intern to complete approved projects. We also desire intern(s) to set-up a small nursery at the station in which future interns will be able to produce more plants for the gardens.
The intern(s) will have the opportunity to work with professional local horticulturists a few days every month, both at the T.R.E.E.S Hosting Center when they visit or elsewhere in Belize at their own sites. This will allow the intern to learn about the variety of plants available to them in Belize and in what conditions these plants need to effectively grow. In addition, the intern(s) will gain experience in organic horticulture methods as little or no pesticides are to be used at the center. The intern(s) will also have the opportunity to have their landscape ideas and projects verified and approved by a professional international landscape architect. The intern(s) will also work with the organic farm leader and intern(s) to help in the establishment of a variety of methodology and written protocols including: soil enrichment methods, organic insect deterrents, organic herb control, etc.
- Design and create, plant, and organize T.R.E.E.S Hosting Center gardens and landscaping projects.
- Travel to different areas of Belize to discuss with local professionals about best plants to use at the center to attract wildlife and grow organically.
- Travel to local nurseries to purchase plants and materials.
- Start a small nursery for T.R.E.E.S flowering plants.
- Work on soil supplement mainstays.
- Write a report about the garden plan (4-5 pages).
- Understand and follow all safety regulations and priorities while working in the field and office.
We are looking for interns who are independent yet willing to work in a team environment. Applicants should have a certain level of horticulture and landscaping experience and have ideas that they would like to develop at the center. A student in their final year or a recent graduate of a landscaping or horticulture program interested in applying their skills in a tropical environment will gain much valuable hands-on experience in their field through this internship.
- Previous hands-on experience working in horticulture either through school or employment.
- Previous experience working in landscaping; water landscaping experience an asset.
- Knowledge of pruning techniques, mulches, cover crops, compost, manures, vermicompost, and mineral supplements an asset.
- Previous experience working with tropical plants in a tropical environment an asset.
- Enjoy working with a diverse community of people.
- Spend long-hours in the field (difficult conditions).
- Flexible easy-going attitude.
- Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions:
- Ability to tolerate high temperature and high humidity.
- Ability to work in environments where exposure to spiky plants, toxic vines, scorpions, spiders, and ticks is common. In addition, it is the jungle; venomous snakes are uncommon but present.
- Ability to live in remote conditions away from electronic amenities.
- Possible indoor work is performed in a typical office setting.
- Ability to lift, carry, and position objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Multiple positions available
- No application deadline
- Start-date: February 2014 (but flexible)
- Length of position: minimum 6 weeks; longer is preferable.
- Schedule: 30 hours per week, Monday–Friday.
Ecorana fees for internships for international students are $25 US/day. This includes lodging and use of all facilities at the T.R.E.E.S Hosting Center, training on methodologies by Ecorana biologists and local T.R.E.E.S professionals in their field of study, as well as mentorship from Ecorana tutors for the duration of the intended internship. International students must have international travel medical insurance during their stay in Belize. At the discretion of the T.R.E.E.S managers, local Belizean students (especially those not staying on site) can have fees reduced or exchanged for work. All interns (international and local) are required to pay for transportation to/from the site and their food while on site (cooking facilities provided).
Contact Information:To Apply:
Please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to: email@example.com (international students) OR firstname.lastname@example.org (Belizean students).
Please indicate the position title in your email subject line. No phone calls please.
For more information about the organization and center, visit www.treesociety.org
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.