SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 2855 jobs in database:
25 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Job Type: part-time temporary position
Location: District of Columbia
Posting Date: 15 Nov 13
Closing Date: 6 Dec 13
Reports to: Urban Forest Program Director
Deadline to apply: 12/6/13
SUMMARY: The intern for programs is responsible for the following areas: 1) support projects of the Community ReLeaf and urban forests program; 2) assist in the implementation of Forest Restoration programs; and 3) contribute to the execution and communication of activities addressing and promoting American Forests’ programmatic areas.
REQUISITE EDUCATION OR CERTIFICATIONS: Currently working toward a Bachelor’s degree in environmental science/studies/biology, natural resources, forest science/management, or other conservation-related field. Must be receiving academic credits, as this is an unpaid internship.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated interest in conservation issues related to environmental, forest, or natural resource issues is preferred. Proficient in Microsoft Suite Office. Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments. Creative and Flexible.
Strong verbal/written communications and computer skills are required. Skills and experience in interpreting natural resource data are preferred. An ability to work in a team environment and to manage multiple tasks is required.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Most work will be in a general office environment.
TIMEFRAME: January – May 2014
A. Supporting projects of the Community ReLeaf and urban forests program.
1. Contribute to developing and implementing strategies for the urban forests program.
2. Research urban forest management, policy and outreach strategies in cities across the US to help create city profiles and inform project activities.
3. Assist in tracking and reporting on outreach events in cities across the US.
4. Contact local partners to help report on existing Community ReLeaf activities.
5. Research and draft foundation proposals.
B. Assist in the implementation of Forest Restoration programs.
1. Assist in developing and implementing strategies for the forest restoration program.
2. Help maintain and update the internal database hosting forest restoration projects.
3. Communicate with long-term grantees to determine restoration impacts.
4. Research reports on tree species, threats or other critical issues linked to our work.
C. Contribute to the implementation and communication of activities addressing and promoting American Forests’ programmatic areas.
1. Help prepare communication materials related to programmatic and critical issues in the form of updates, blog posts, website content and fact sheets.
2. Represent American Forests at conservation-related restoration meetings and events.
3. Present at least one 30-minute PowerPoint on a selected programmatic topic to the internal American Forests staff.
Contact Information:To apply, please send a cover letter and resume by December 6th to both:
Melinda Housholder, Urban Forests Program Director
Jami Westerhold, Director of Forest Restoration
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.