SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 3585 jobs in database:
16 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Information Center & Bookstore Assistant
Job Type: full-time temporary position
Posting Date: 18 Jan 14
Closing Date: 31 Mar 14
SALARY: $10.00–$12.00 per hour, based on experience
STATUS: Full-time (40 hours a week)
DURATION: Seasonal (May 15 through September 30)
ORGANIZATION: Mono Lake Committee
LOCATION: Lee Vining, California
SUPERVISED BY: Information Center & Bookstore Manager
The Information Center & Bookstore Assistant promotes the Mono Lake Committee mission in the Information Center & Bookstore by working with the retail, information, and membership programs. The staff in the bookstore are the primary representatives of the Mono Lake Committee to visitors in the Information Center. The Information Center serves approximately 100,000 visitors each year.
• Work behind the counter in the Information Center & Bookstore with our retail sales, information, education, and membership programs on a daily basis.
• Have a thorough understanding of all Information Center & Bookstore functions and products. This includes knowing the point of #### cash register system, store opening and closing procedures, safety procedures, and a familiarity with all store products.
• Subscribe new and renewing members to the Mono Lake Committee.
• Ensure that the store is clean, orderly, and stocked at all times.
• Clean the store and restroom facilities on a routine basis.
• Assist with receiving, stocking and displaying merchandise as requested by Information Center & Bookstore Manager.
• Effectively communicate the Mono Lake Committee’s mission, policies, Mono Lake ecology, and current events to visitors.
• Provide visitors with detailed and accurate information about Lee Vining, the Mono Basin, Yosemite National Park, and the Eastern Sierra.
• Stock and maintain tourist information binders and Chamber of Commerce area.
• Show the Mono Lake Committee film on a regular basis.
• Serve as a positive role model for all staff and assist Information Center & Bookstore Manager in monitoring the work of seasonal staff to ensure that Information Center & Bookstore tasks are being completed correctly.
• Assist with canoe tour and field seminar reservations, answering phones, and other tasks as requested by Information Center & Bookstore Manager.
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and team player approach.
• Enthusiasm for and commitment to the Mono Lake Committee mission.
• Ability and reliability in cash handling.
• Ability to be detail oriented, organized, and an independent worker.
• Ability to work well with the public.
• Ability to work several closing shifts (until 9:30pm) per week.
• Ability to work several opening shifts (7:30am start) per week.
• Ability to be flexible under a changing schedule.
• Ability to quickly understand local natural history and complex California water issues.
• Sales experience preferred, but specific training will be provided.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds and stand up to eight hours per day.
• Clean driving record required for employment.
• Employee discount on merchandise in the Information Center & Bookstore.
• Mileage is paid for all job-related travel.
• Shared housing may be available in Lee Vining.
• Working at Mono Lake!
The Mono Lake Committee is a 16,000-member citizens’ group dedicated to the permanent protection and restoration of the Mono Basin ecosystem; educating the public about Mono Lake and the impacts on the environment of excessive water use; and promoting cooperative solutions that meet real water needs without transferring environmental problems to other areas.
The local area is comprised of sagebrush steppe, pinyon-juniper, and Jeffrey pine forest plant communities, 46,000 acres of Mono Lake, numerous 12,000+ foot Sierra peaks, and plug-dome volcanoes. The Mono Lake Committee Information Center and Bookstore is in the town of Lee Vining (pop. 400, elev. 6,780'), on the eastern edge of Yosemite National Park overlooking Mono Lake. The town is located adjacent to the Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area, and the Ansel Adams and Hoover Wilderness areas. Lee Vining is situated along Highway 395, 27 miles north of Mammoth Lakes, California and 110 miles south of Carson City, Nevada.
The Information Center & Bookstore Assistant position is temporary, lasting about four months. The Information Center & Bookstore Assistant works 40 hours per week with two consecutive days off. Housing may be available through the Committee (sorry, no pets). The Information Center & Bookstore Assistant also receives a discount on merchandise from the Information Center & Bookstore, and gets the great benefit of working for a successful environmental non-profit.
Contact Information:APPLICATION PROCESS:
Applications will be accepted starting January 1, 2014. To apply, send a cover letter and resume via email to Rosanne Catron, Office Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. For more information, contact Rosanne Catron at (760) 647-6595 or visit monolake.org/mlc/jobs.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.