SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 1917 jobs in database:
9 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Fish and Wildlife Scientific Aid
Job Type: part-time temporary position
Posting Date: 10 Mar 13
Closing Date: 10 Jun 13
• Collects recreational fishery data and biological samples at public launch ramps, docks, piers, jetties and beach/banks or ocean fishery data at commercial offloading or processing locations using standardized survey protocols. Duties include identification of finfish and invertebrates to species and collecting fish lengths, weights, and other biological data as needed. Sampling occurs weekdays, weekends and holidays. May also conduct onboard sampling of Commercial Passenger Fishing Vessels.
• Collects, transports, or processes biological samples such as scales, otoliths, tissue samples, blood, gonads, and stomach contents as needed.
• Performs data entry, reviews, edits and submits data to field supervisor in a timely manner.
• Interacts with and responds to public questions about recreational fishing regulations, fish identification, and other topics while in the field using material provided by the Department.
• Assists with other project functions as needed, including database management, data analyses, technical report writing and equipment maintenance.
• May assist other projects as needed, including fishery-independent research, equipment and vehicle maintenance.
• Valid California driver's license
• Must have reliable transportation
• Able to work in adverse field conditions
• Able to lift 40 pounds
• Able to work weekends, holidays and variable hours
• Minimum 2 yrs. college or university with 10 units in the biological sciences or related field -- OR -- 1 yr. experience surveying, studying, or evaluating fish and/or wildlife populations
• Positions located in all coastal counties with an emphasis on the following ports: Avila, Morro Bay, Monterey, Moss Landing, Santa Cruz, Princeton/Half Moon Bay, San Francisco, Emeryville, Berkeley, Sausalito, Bodega Bay, Fort Bragg, Shelter Cove, Fields Landing, Eureka, Trinidad, and Crescent City.
• Positions start in April 2013
• Limited to 9 months or 1500 hours per 12 month period
• Base salary range: $11.58 to $13.34 per hour
Please submit a completed Standard State Application (Form 678) indicating preferred location(s) and two professional references. The application is available at http://jobs.ca.gov/OEC/jobs/stateapp.aspx
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey, CA 93940
Positions pending Department approval. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Contact Information:James Phillips
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.