SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4369 jobs in database:
12 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Finance and Administration Unit Director, Nouabale Ndoki National Park
Job Type: full-time permanent position
Posting Date: 5 May 14
Closing Date: 4 Aug 14
The Finance and Administration Unit Director, Nouable Ndoki National Park, will report to the Nouabale Ndoki National Park Director. The primary objective is to establish and oversee efficient systems for financial and personnel management for the Nouabale Ndoki National Park (NNNP). S/he will maintain appropriate communication with NNNP Sector Managers, WCS Congo staff, key donors and funding agencies and local governmental institutions (e.g. Ministries of Finance, Labor etc.). S/he will be responsible for all the finance and administration matters (purchase, distribution of material, financial control, reporting, etc) for the park.
The Finance and Administration Unit Director is based in the field, living permanently on-site at the park headquarters, Bomassa.
• Overall supervision of the NNNP Finance and Administration unit and staff
• Ensure financial efficiency in all aspects of operations, advising the NNNP Director of any problems or weakness in financial controls and procedures, and any ways in which costs could be reduced
• Strengthen and document administrative and financial policies and procedures
• Ensure that highest standards of financial integrity are followed
• Ensure that all activities in the park are respecting national legislation including customs regulations, labor rights, taxes, benefits, etc.
• Ensure that all procurement and distribution of supplies and equipment are done according to WCS policies and procedures.
• Coordinate local contracts of service providers
• Work with Park Director and WCS Congo Human Resources responsible to oversee payroll, recruitment and hiring of new staff, and staff evaluations
• Oversee financial reporting to donors and the Ndoki Foundation
Budgeting, projections and cash flow management
• Assist the NNNP Director in preparing budgets for project proposals and annual budgeting
• Ensure that up-to-date figures for costs of staff salaries and benefits
• In close collaboration with the NNNP Director, prepare quarterly projections of expenditure and cash flow for the park
• Make sure that NNNP has sufficient money to meet its obligations at all time.
• Implement systems to reduce cash transactions in the park as much as possible.
• Maintain an accurate database of park funding, including contracts, grant budgets and donor-specific procedures and regulations
Monitoring and managing expenditures
• Ensure that all expenditures are made in accordance with established procedures, including verification of supporting documents and budget availability
• Monitor and review expenditure against budgets on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
• Where expenditures is not in line with budgets, bring this to the attention of the Park Director and make recommendations to adjust spending accordingly
• Monitor all bank transactions and check and approve monthly bank reconciliations by the 5th day of the following month
• Ensure complete accounting records are maintained including vouchers, authorizations, and reconciliations, including both paper and electronic records. Ensure that back ups are made of data at least twice per week, and that a copy of the latest back up is maintained at a secure location out of the office.
• Ensure proper tracking of project advances to staff, ensuring that advances are accounted for in a timely manner according to WCS procedures, and that an accurate balance sheet is kept of each staff member’s outstanding advances. Prepare a monthly report of outstanding advances at the end of each month by the 5th day of the following month.
• Analyze liabilities on a monthly basis and setup appropriate actions to limit their extent.
• Prepare and submit accounting and reporting on all project expenditures to the Ndoki Foundation under established procedures and deadlines
• Oversee monthly and year-end closure of accounts, reports and bank reconciliations
• In consultation with the NNNP Director, ensure communication, reporting and administrative requirements of donors are met
Audit and quality control
• Ensure that all transactions entered into the accounting system are correctly and consistently recorded, including donor and/or activity information where needed. Perform a monthly check of all data by the 10th day of the following month.
• Supervise regular petty cash counts out on a weekly basis
• Assist in preparation of internal and/or external audits, prepare audit responses and ensure implementation of accepted recommendations
Contracts and sub-awards
• Ensure that contractees meet financial reporting requirements
• Where necessary, perform audits of contractee or sub-awardee financial systems and reports
• Assist the Park Director in establishing salary scales and other benefits, terms and conditions of employment, leave and work schedules in adherence with WCS Congo guidelines and following the national labor laws.
• Assist the Park Director in the evaluations of current national staff levels and competence, and assist in training and recruiting of new staff
• Oversee preparation of payroll including taxes and other statutory deductions, Ensure salary advances are paid and recovered according to WCS’s established procedures.
• Ensure that taxes and CNSS decalarations are done monthly without delay
• Monitor leave taken by staff, ensure all leave is approved by supervisors and track leave taken by each staff on an annual basis.
• Ensure that complete personnel files are kept for all staff employed by the park.
• Oversee expatriate staff administration and logistics (visas and work permits, travel)
• Make recommendations for structuring departments as necessary in order to improve information flow, services and to address workplace issues.
• Perform other duties related the NNNP as requested by the supervisor
• Bachelor degree in Business Administration, accounting major preferred. MBA or CPA a plus.
• Demonstrated ability in the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures.
• Significant experience with the financial management of government and agency grants and contracts.
• At least three years of experience managing a financial area for a corporation or not profit organization.
• Experience working in a developing country setting.
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as strong analytical skills. English & French required.
• Effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic, with attention to detail.
• Proven managerial skill and ability to work in a team setting within an organization.
Contact Information:To apply:
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to: the WCS Africa Program at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com. Include contact information for three references and specify whether we may contact each of these or whether this should await your approval.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.