SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4659 jobs in database:
13 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
FIELD COURSE in TROPICAL FIELD BIOLOGY and PRIMATOLOGY
Job Type: volunteer position
Posting Date: 24 Dec 13
Closing Date: 31 Dec 14
• Get accustomed to the look, feel and sound of the rainforest, and work in it with minimal impact on the forest.
• Work on and off the trail system, by learning orientation skills and navigation using GPS and a compass.
• Recognize and appreciate a wide range of flora and fauna, and gain an understanding of the ecology and interconnectedness of these species within this ecosystem.
• Monitor the biodiversity of a variety of plant and animal groups through the use of camera traps, line transects, and invertebrate cataloguing.
• Track identified animals or animal groups via radio telemetry and vocalizations, using our radio-collared tamarin population as a reference.
• Observe and record animal behavior, from that of eusocial insects to larger primates.
• Non-invasively collect biological samples and conduct basic processing in the forest laboratory for a variety of uses – endocrinology, parasitology, and genetics.
There are a few simple requirements to determine eligibility for this course:
1. You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the course.
2. You must have medical insurance, and provide proof of such insurance to us to complete your reservation.
3. We have no citizenship requirements. Anyone is welcome to apply. You must obtain visas independently if necessary.
4. You do not need any training in biology or primatology – our course is structured to accommodate people from a variety of backgrounds.
5. Courses have a maximum capacity of 20 participants. If you are concerned that you will lose your spot, please contact us to confirm how many spots we have left.
The course fee covers the following:
• An airport pickup on May 20, 2014 in Puerto Maldonado, and a drop-off on June 10th, 2014
• Accommodation in Puerto Maldonado for one night at the beginning and the end of the course (includes breakfast)
• Transportation to and from the field station once per participant
• Lodging and meals at the field station
• Training and activities related to the course provided by experienced instructors
• Access to the internet while at the field station, although it is slow and dependent on the weather
The course fee does not cover the following:
• Travel from your home to Puerto Maldonado in Perú
• Medical insurance, which is a requirement for the course
• Food in Puerto Maldonado
• Costs related to exigent circumstances under which a participant requires an early departure from the field station
• Medical costs of any kind
• Binoculars – each participant should try to bring their own pair of binoculars
• Field #####, headlamp/flashlight and other personal effects required for the course
1. This is a remote field site, only accessible by boat, with basic accommodation. Make sure that you are aware of the lifestyle changes you need to make when living in the rainforest.
2. All participants must sign standard liability waivers for our program and for the field station.
3. If a minimum course enrollment is not reached by the registration deadline, PrimatesPeru reserves the right to cancel the course.
4. Please read our cancellation policy carefully, as no exceptions can be made after the deadlines mentioned.
5. Since most activities are conducted outdoors, our exact schedule is weather dependent.
6. We do not offer this course for credit; however, we have supervised the work of participants who can obtain credit through their own universities. We are committed to helping these students, so please don’t hesitate to ask.
Contact Information:Please see our website (http://primatesperu.org/get-experience/courses-and-workshops/) for an application form, payment and cancellation policies, as well as other research opportunities with PrimatesPeru.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information if needed.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.