SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4832 jobs in database:
9 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Director of Communications
Job Type: full-time permanent position
Posting Date: 7 Aug 14
Closing Date: 31 Oct 14
The Director of Communications crafts and executes Manomet’s communications strategy and ensures consistent messaging and promotion of Manomet’s mission and programs. The position directs communications, marketing, and public relations activities, manages the organization’s brand, and positions the organization and its leadership to advance the organization’s mission and drive donor support. The Director of Communications is responsible for delivering Manomet’s communications services and collateral including the magazine, newsletters, brochures, media placements, public relations, and marketing. Reporting to the President, the Director of Communications is an integral member of the senior management team as the communications partner on strategic initiatives. The position is located at Manomet’s headquarters in Plymouth, MA.
About Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences
For more than 45 years, Manomet scientists have worked with a wide range of partners to solve complex natural resource challenges. We are dedicated to creating a measurably more sustainable world. We believe that society’s economic, social, and environmental values are connected and must be integrated if humans are to live sustainably on a planet with finite resources. Manomet uses science to help communities, businesses, and government measurably improve their practices and sustainability. Our approach is to work side-by-side with stakeholders and businesses to make it practical and simple for them to make a real difference.
Manomet’s programs pursue four goals:
1. To restore and maintain shorebird populations in the Western Hemisphere.
2. To prepare North American landscapes for climate change.
3. To help create an economy based on sustainability.
4. To connect people to nature.
With an annual budget of $4.5 million, Manomet has about 40 scientists and support staff working from the north slope of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina. Manomet offers an entrepreneurial atmosphere of dedicated professionals who support each other in a common vision of creating a more sustainable world. Our headquarters are located in Plymouth, MA on a bluff overlooking beautiful Cape Cod Bay, about 45 miles south of Boston. Manomet also has offices in Maine, Vermont, Chile, and Paraguay.
1. Communications strategy
Set organizational communications strategy and messaging in collaboration with the President and Chief Development Officer.
Stay abreast of communications trends, best practices, and technologies to continually optimize Manomet’s communications goals and resources.
Work with the President and Chief Development Officer to create a strategy-based editorial calendar that integrates marketing and development communications activities and content.
Create and implement strategies for effective internal communications to share information and keep staff informed.
Prepare and implement marketing plan components of program business plans.
2. Branding and messaging
Ensure consistent messaging throughout the organization and across all channels of communications (print, web, events, media).
Position the organization as a thought leader by creating opportunities for speaking engagements and publications for the President and senior program leaders. Collaborate on messaging and coach senior staff on delivery.
Communicate Manomet’s significant accomplishments and powerful ideas to diverse audiences. Engage constituencies to raise brand awareness and to attract and retain donors.
Oversee design and branding of all communications collateral including the magazine, newsletter, brochure, website, and program publications.
Write and edit and/or recruit writers and editors for the magazine, newsletter, brochure, and other marketing collateral.
4. Media Relations
Oversee public relations, including media outreach, press releases, earned media placements, and events.
Build relationships with key media contacts. Work with and manage consultants as needed for big media events.
5. Protect Manomet’s intellectual property and manage copyrights and trademarks.
6. Supervise the Digital Media Specialist.
1. Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
2. At least 7 years’ leadership experience in communications, with experience developing and implementing communications strategy at nonprofit organizations with demonstrated results. Keen understanding of promoting and differentiating nonprofit brands. Sophisticated ability to use web and social media analytics to inform communications strategy.
3. Exceptional written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated ability to quickly distill complex concepts into engaging and accessible pieces.
4. Intellectual and creative thinker with excitement for new ideas. An entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a challenging, fast-paced organization.
5. Results-oriented and attention to detail. Proven reliability in meeting deadlines and driving projects forward. Ability to stay focused, set priorities, and juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
6. Highly collaborative style. Excellent ability to work on teams flexibly and with a sense of humor. Strong ability to build successful relationships to work effectively with both external (stakeholders, media) and internal audiences (staff, Board).
7. Commitment to and passion for Manomet’s mission to create a measurably more sustainable world.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the job title in the subject line. The position is available immediately and applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible.
Manomet offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive package of benefits. Manomet is an equal opportunity employer.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.