SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4343 jobs in database:
12 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Communications Volunteer/ Intern
Job Type: full-time permanent position
Posting Date: 14 May 14
Closing Date: 13 Aug 14
About Island Conservation -Island Conservation (IC) is an international non-profit conservation organization headquartered in Santa Cruz, California with field offices in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Chile, Ecuador, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Washington DC. The mission of Island Conservation is to prevent extinctions by removing invasive species from islands.
IC prevents extinctions by working where the concentration of both biodiversity and species extinction is greatest—islands. By removing one of the greatest threats—introduced invasive species—threatened native island species and ecosystems recover with little or no additional intervention. To date, we have deployed team members to 52 islands worldwide to protect 977 populations of 389 species. Learn more about us at www.islandconservation.org.
Position Overview - Island Conservation is seeking a communications volunteer/intern to support our communications team in our Santa Cruz headquarters. We are seeking an enthusiastic self-starter who wants to develop new skills and build on their writing, communication, social media, organizational, and computer skills.
The Communications Volunteer /Intern works closely with the Director of Communications and the Communications Manager.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Support communications strategy development and implementation
• Maintain, update, and expand social media outlets
o Draft, review, edit, and publish daily social media posts
o Monitor and report on social media outlet activity
o Respond to constituent messages and comments
o Share posts by IC’s partner organizations
• Monitor internet for relevant media, collect and maintain IC earned media archives
• Support website content development and updates
• Generate Twitter followers with particular focus on journalists
• Draft, proofread, and edit publications, fact sheets, press releases, letters
• Assist with editing and formatting documents and presentations
• Assemble and organize IC info packets and other collateral for meetings
• Assist with print publications including IC’s Annual Report
• Discrete projects and other assigned tasks as needed
• Graduate or undergraduate students studying communications, marketing, biology, ecology, zoology, environmental studies, environmental policy, foreign languages, international policy, or related fields. Able to commit to 12-40 hours/week for 6 months
• Ability to prioritize competing demands; flexible
• Demonstrated knowledge of conservation and ecological principles
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and social media outlets
• French or Spanish language skills or fluency desired
Start date - Open immediately;
Minimum commitment - 6 months, between 12-40 hours/week, flexible schedules
Location - This position will be based in Island Conservation’s Global Headquarters office:
2161 Delaware Ave., Suite A
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Compensation - This is a volunteer position without any monetary compensation. This position can be an internship, qualifying for course credit for college students.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and three professional or academic references firstname.lastname@example.org ; No phone calls please.
Contact Information:email@example.com ; No phone calls please.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.