SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4575 jobs in database:
19 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Job Type: part-time temporary position
Posting Date: 14 Aug 14
Closing Date: 18 Sep 14
As a member of the Communications Team, the Communications Specialist will help to research, develop, and implement strategies that promote Island Conservation’s brand and reputation to our key audiences through various outlets.
• Update, manage, and implement social media goals, and strategy; lead a Communications Volunteer/Intern cohorts to implement strategy.
• Help maintain website including content updates and design changes using Wordpress website content management system.
• Work with Island Conservation’s Philanthropy Specialist to create, promote, and distribute marketing/fundraising campaigns and donor stewardship news emails.
• Assist Communications Manager in development of collateral such as Fact Sheets, Brochures, and Posters using InDesign desktop publishing.
• Monitor, track, distribute, and archive media stories related to Island Conservation and our work.
• Support Photography Team by processing and tracking images, fulfill internal and external image requests, managing Flickr, and support a developing, in-house video production program.
• Design and implement an inventory and ordering system to organize and track Island Conservation communications collateral and branded swag.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree required in a Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, IT, Biology, or relevant field.
• 1-3 years of direct experience in communications or related field.
• Substantial experience and expertise in using social media and attracting new followers.
• Strong writing skills with a demonstrated ability to write compelling text for online purposes.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to function effectively as a member of a team, ensuring close coordination and integration with other staff members based in our headquarters and remote offices.
• Demonstrated experience using analytics (e.g. Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, etc.) to track, summarize, and report communications performance, effectiveness, measure success, and then adapt strategies accordingly.
• Demonstrated experience using Mail chimp, Adobe Creative Suite, Wordpress, Hootsuite preferred.
• Ability to work three days a week (20 hours minimum) in our Santa Cruz headquarters.
• Foreign language skills (particularly Spanish or French).
• Proficiency creating collateral materials using Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, or similar design program.
• Experience developing online fundraising and brand-raising campaigns for a non-profit organization.
• Scientific background/familiarity with biodiversity and ecosystem conservation, invasive species issues, species extinction.
• High energy level, impeccable integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, and of course a good sense of humor.
Compensation and Location
The incumbent will report directly to the Director of Philanthropy and Communications and work in Island Conservation’s global headquarters in Santa Cruz, California. This is an unbenefited temp position without a defined or anticipated end-date. Hourly compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Island Conservation (IC), a global leader in the conservation of threatened biodiversity, prevents extinctions by removing invasive species from islands. In collaboration with regional partners, we design and implement conservation projects which ensure native species protection and demonstrate cutting-edge invasive species removal techniques. We also support on-the-ground research to optimize the success of invasive vertebrate removal. Our mission is focused and our conservation outcomes are tangible and measureable. Since our founding in 1994, Island Conservation has deployed teams to protect 977 populations of 389 species on 52 islands.. Longtime supporter, and Society for Conservation Biology co-founder, Michael Soule described IC as “… the world's most effective organization in terms of species saved from extinction per dollar spent." IC is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California with satellite offices located around the globe.
For more information, please visit www.islandconservation.org.
This position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please!
Island Conservation is an equal opportunity employer
Contact Information:To Apply
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a cover letter, CV, three professional references, and up to two writing/design samples to Jobs@islandconservation.org
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.