SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 3564 jobs in database:
26 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Job Type: full-time permanent position
Posting Date: 5 Feb 14
Closing Date: 7 May 14
Founded in 1965, the California Native Plant Society (CNPS) is a science‐based non‐profit dedicated to increasing understanding and appreciation of California’s native plants, and to conserving them and their natural habitats. The Society is headquartered in Sacramento. CNPS has more than 9,300 members organized in 34 chapters,
including the newly‐formed Baja California Chapter.
CNPS is seeking a Communications Manager who is passionate about supporting members and chapters. This position requires an organized, collaborative individual with strong communication skills. They will lead a team to develop creative solutions and make chapters even more fun and more effective. He/she must embrace the principle that CNPS is a Society in which every individual is unique and valuable.
The successful candidate need not have all the skills listed below, but will be able to direct and work with staff, contractors, and highly skilled volunteers to accomplish goals. They will join a growing professional staff, hire new team members, and be part of a committed team that includes smart and dedicated volunteers.
Representative Responsibilities of the Communications Manager and Team
Facilitate Chapter Communications and Outreach
● Ensure there is a primary point of contact for chapter communication needs.
●Work with chapter volunteers and staff to publicize events and disseminate success stories. This includes training chapter volunteers in publicity and outreach techniques, and promoting development and distribution of press releases via Green Media Toolshed or other platforms.
● Support chapter newsletter editors, including: assisting with sharing of articles across chapters, identifying authors and soliciting articles, developing stories on local chapter and statewide topics, etc.
● Maintain resources to help chapters identify and engage speakers, including expanding the CNPS Speakers Bureau, promoting sharing of good speakers among chapters, and identifying and recruiting new speakers.
● Help chapters to develop effective public outreach materials, including: promoting existing materials, developing new brochures and displays, and translating into languages and formats that reach a large and diverse audience.
Support Chapter Leadership
● Work with the CNPS webmaster, chapter webmasters, and contractors to meet chapter website and information technology needs, provide training to chapter webmasters, and provide centralized maintenance of chapter websites.
● Ensure that trainings are available to support chapter leadership, treasurers, and webmasters. This includes developing ability to provide trainings via webinars or on demand videos.
● Maintain excellent awareness of chapter conditions and needs, coordinate sharing of tools and approaches among chapters, and represent chapter and member needs across the organization.
Develop and Implement Shared Communications Tools
● Improve dissemination of chapter newsletters, including making newsletters available via the internet.
● Manage development of a simple conference call capability for chapters and committees.
● Manage development of an email list capability, available to chapters and committees, for distribution of electronic bulletins and newsletters.
● Manage development of web‐based, events calendar to provide information on chapter activities.
Representative Qualifications of the Communications Manager
● Bachelor’s with a minimum of four year of experience in a comparable position, or minimum of five years of experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people of different backgrounds.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to be a self‐ starter, and to work independently or with a team.
● Experience writing and editing of a variety of messages, for various media, for a diversity of audiences.
● Experience managing organizational outreach and communications using current electronic communication and networking tools, e.g. Facebook, Flickr, Flipboard, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
● Ability to independently and efficiently plan and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
● Experience hiring and supervising staff and contractors.
● Skill at working with volunteers and supporters to accomplish challenging projects, while keeping it a fun and fulfilling experience that builds joy and goodwill inside and outside the Society.
Please Note if You Possess These Additional Desired Skills
● Fluency in Spanish.
● Funds development, grant writing, conference sponsorship promotion.
● Conference and special events production.
●Graphic design, book publishing, photo management.
● Knowledge of CNPS, familiarity with native plants, a commitment to conservation.
This job requires prolonged sitting, use of computer and mouse, and ability to participate in field trips including traveling uneven trails with variable grade. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Job Requirements
● Work with volunteers and partners requires travel throughout California. Work travel is reimbursed.
● Some evening and weekend work is required to meet deadlines or to participate in meetings.
● A valid California driver’s license and proof of car insurance are required, provided annually.
This is an exempt, full time staff position eligible for benefits.
Compensation and benefits
This is a key position and compensation is generous, commensurate with qualifications and experience. CNPS offers benefits that are competitive with non‐profit organizations of comparable size, including full payment of employee health insurance premiums, life insurance, retirement match, and paid holidays and vacation.
Contact Information:To Apply
Please application to email@example.com. Subject line of email should read “Communications Manager application.” This is a full time, Sacramento‐based position. Please explain in cover letter if you seek special arrangements such as job sharing, part time, or unusual working hours. Position is open until filled.
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.