SCB Job Board
Thank you for viewing this job. This job posting service is offered free of charge by SCB to the conservation community!
Currently 4494 jobs in database:
9 job(s) are only visible to current SCB members. Login now or wait 48 hours to see them too.
Adventure Scientists on the American Prairie: Montana
Job Type: volunteer position
Posting Date: 14 Jul 14
Closing Date: 6 Oct 14
To learn more about this diversity of life ASC is beginning a multi-year adventure-science study on the Reserve. Six-person survey crews will cover the grasslands in all four seasons collecting wildlife data. The collected data will establish trends over time and inform management decisions as the Reserve grows.
- maintain motion-activated camera stations in remote locations
- hike/ski 8-12 mile transects and conduct fence line monitoring on 30,000+ acres
- record field observations on wildlife using specific protocols
- record sage grouse mating locations (leks) and activity
- assist with season-specific projects on the Reserve (fence removal, bison calf counts, geocache maintenance and other TBD projects)
- download and organize GPS waypoints, digital photos, and wildlife observations
- work collaboratively with other Landmark crew members, APR and ASC staff
A 2-month service stint on the Reserve is an opportunity to pursue adventure in an iconic American landscape with a group of conservation-minded outdoor enthusiasts. Landmark crew members will have the opportunity to use their outdoor skills to contribute to the creation of a wildlife reserve on par with Yellowstone or the Serengeti, while developing valuable field technician skills.
- interest or background in the natural sciences and conservation
- competent and self-sufficient in backcountry travel in all weather conditions
- able to hike 8-12 miles per day with a 20lb. pack
- Wilderness First Aid certification
- experience working and living closely with others
- experience working on a team
- ability to thrive in a remote location with limited cell and internet service
- a hearty appetite for adventure
Volunteers receive a $300 stipend at the end of each month to help cover food and travel costs.
Contact Information:Please visit www.adventureandscience.org/landmark for more information and to apply. Specific questions can be directed to Program Director Mike Kautz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please mention "I found this on the SCB website..." if you make a contact as a result of seeing opportunities posted here.